Many men and women struggle with unwanted fat pockets around their body, whether on their flanks, thighs, abdomen, or arms. When diet and exercise aren’t enough to contour these trouble areas, liposuction can often be a beneficial way to achieve a more toned-looking figure. Learn more about the benefits and limitations of liposuction by reading through some of the most common myths about the popular procedure.
- Liposuction is a short cut for weight loss. Although liposuction targets fat cells, the procedure is not intended for weight loss. The surgery is designed to improve body contours by sculpting areas with isolated fat deposits. It is not an effective weight loss solution.
- Liposuction is a cellulite treatment. The characteristic dimples caused by cellulite are caused by connective bands pulling on the skin. This leads to the appearance of bumps. Liposuction does not address these bands, as it only targets fatty tissue.
- Body contouring results from liposuction are permanent. While the fat removed via liposuction cannot regenerate, the surrounding fat cells can expand with weight gain. As a result, you should maintain a stable body weight with diet and exercise to not compromise your results from liposuction
- Loose skin can be tightened with liposuction. The goal of liposuction is to remove excess fat cells from trouble areas of the body. This process does not affect skin laxity. If you have loose skin and would like a tighter, smoother appearance, your surgeon can recommend a skin tightening treatment based on your needs.
- Liposuction is dangerous. Every surgery comes with some degree of risk, but when performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, procedures like liposuction are considered a safe cosmetic option. To minimise your risk of complications, it is important to seek care from a highly trained plastic surgeon who is experienced with liposuction.
All of the specialist plastic surgeons at Pure Aesthetics have undergone extensive training from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, which indicates their advanced expertise and commitment to plastic and reconstructive surgery. If you would like to learn more about liposuction or another cosmetic procedure, please contact our team at Pure Aesthetics to book your consultation!