- What Is Augmentation Mastopexy?
- Breast Lift with Implants Benefits
- Breast Lift with Implants Consultation
- Breast Lift with Implants Procedure
- Breast Lift with Implants Recovery
- Breast Lift with Implants Results
- Breast Lift with Implants Complications
- Breast Lift with Implants Scars
- Breast Lift with Implants Before & After Photos
- Breast Lift with Implants Surgical Video
- Breast Lift with Implants Cost
Meet your Surgeon
Dr. Steve Merten
Meet your Surgeon
Education and Training:
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery from Sydney University in 1991
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) in 2001
- Fellowships in Aesthetic (Cosmetic) Surgery at the Melbourne Institute of Plastic Surgery and Monash University
- Fellowship in Breast Reconstruction at the University of British Columbia, Canada
- Clinical Senior Lecturer in Cosmetic Plastic Surgery and Plastic Surgery Fellowship Program Director at Macquarie University, Sydney
- Consultant Plastic Surgeon Concord Hospital, Sydney
- Supervisor of Plastic Surgery Training, Concord Hospital
- Consultant Plastic Surgeon at numerous top Sydney private hospitals, including:
- Macquarie University Hospital
- Hunters Hill Private Hospital
- North Shore Specialist Day Hospital
- Plastic Surgery Representative NSW Members Advisory Committee Avant Mutual
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Member, Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Member, Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
- Member, Australian Medical Association
- Member, ANZPATH (Australia and New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health)
- Member, WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health)
What Is Augmentation Mastopexy?
A breast lift with implants is usually the best breast enhancement procedure if your breast skin is loose or stretched, or your breasts are “droopy,” as a standard breast enlargement may not give you the result you are looking for. The procedure has the combined benefits of using breast implants to enlarge and enhance your breast shape and volume, as well as tightening the skin and lifting your nipples. The result is a more youthful appearance with improved shape, volume and breast aesthetics.
How Can Breast Lift with Implants Help Me?
A breast lift with implants is recommended for women who have lost breast volume as well as having stretched, loose and drooping of the breasts. This most commonly follows pregnancy or weight fluctuations, but is also seen with naturally sagging breasts. A breast lift with implants is for women who want to increase breast volume, improve breast shape and correct the nipple position. Benefits may include:
- Improve your breast appearance, with larger, firmer and more uplifted breasts
- Improve the position of your areolae and nipples
- Increase firmness of soft breasts, by removing excess skin
- Restore or add volume to your breasts
- Reduce skin irritation under the breast folds
- Improve your confidence and self-esteem
What Can I Expect in the Breast Lift with Implants Consultation?
During the consultation process, your surgeon will discuss your aesthetic goals for your breast lift with implants, as well as ask you questions about your health history, including medications you are taking, any allergies you have and any other treatments you are currently undergoing. To determine if you are a good a candidate for a breast lift with implants, he will perform a physical examination to assess whether the combination procedure is appropriate for your needs. An X-Ray or other tests may also be needed.
Based on this information, your surgeon will explain the best options to give you the outcome you desire, which may range from mastopexy alone, Breast Enlargement alone, or the two together. This will depend on your final desired breast size, your current breast volume and skin looseness. By the end of your consultation you should have a clear understanding of the options and likely outcome of your surgery, so you can make an informed decision about what path to take.
In addition to discussing your procedure, our team will help you understand what to expect in your recovery, including possible complications that may occur. We encourage you to ask any questions you think of during your consultation. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions during a second consultation, which will cover more details surrounding your operation.
What Does the Breast Lift with Implants Procedure Involve?
The breast lift with implants procedure is a significantly more complex operation than a standard Breast Enlargement, and should only be undertaken by experienced specialist plastic surgeons such as the surgeons at Pure Aesthetics. Please note: smokers are unsuitable for this operation, and you will need to stop at least six weeks before the operation.
In a breast lift with implants, excess skin and breast tissue are removed, though your nipples will remain in place. The breast implant can then be inserted, usually behind the chest muscle, and the nipple is raised to a higher position on the chest wall.
Your surgeon will then use internal stitches to reposition the lower breast. Most patients require a “vertical” or “lollipop” scar pattern, but more extensive loose skin may require an additional scar beneath the breast in the fold. Dissolving sutures will be used to close the skin to help minimise scarring. No drains are used during this surgery.
The entire breast lift with implants procedure takes up to four hours to complete. It is performed under general anaesthesia, and is always done in fully accredited surgical facilities. You can choose to either stay overnight or go home the same day.
What Is the Breast Lift with Implants Recovery Like?
Once your procedure is complete, your anaesthesia will begin to wear off; most patients experience minimal nausea and return to their normal selves after a short period of time. You will be placed in supportive dressings, which will need to be worn for the first few days. After this initial period, you will transition to a soft support bra for approximately six weeks. Since the stitches used dissolve, you will not need to return for them to be removed.
Most patients take about two or three weeks off work to allow them to fully rest and recover. During this time, you should be able to do normal activities. Any strenuous exercise should be avoided for about six weeks, but you can start lightly increasing your activity after about four weeks.
When Will I See My Breast Lift with Implants Results?
As soon as your surgery is finished you can begin to see the results of your breast lift with implants. As swelling continues to fade over the first six weeks, you can get a better idea of what your final results will look like. It can take several months for the shape and position of your results to settle. During this time, scars may look red and raised, but they will continue to improve for up to two years.
What Complications Can Occur After Breast Lift with Implants Surgery?
As with any surgery, there are some risks and complications that can occur, such as:
- Bruising, bleeding, haematoma formation
- Anaesthetic issues
- Deep vein thrombosis
Risks and complications specific to the breast lift with implants procedure include:
- Capsular contracture
- Implant rupture
- Nipple necrosis
- Altered nipple sensation
- Altered breastfeeding potential
- Wound breakdown
Will the Breast Lift with Implants Procedure Leave Scars?
Although scars will develop after your breast lift with implants surgery, our surgeons use advanced “short scar” surgical techniques that help minimise their length and overall appearance. They will explain what you can expect in your post-operative scarring, and advise you on how to care for your incisions to encourage healing. Over the course of the first two years your scars will continue to fade.
Before & After Breast Lift with Implants Photos
Breast Lift with Implants Surgical Animation Video
How Much Does the Breast Lift with Implants Procedure Cost?
Under certain circumstances, the breast lift with implants surgery can attract Medicare and health insurance rebates. This may apply following pregnancy and in specific breast abnormalities. Our team will be able to advise you after your first consultation whether you qualify for partial coverage with Medicare.
On average, the total cost of a breast lift with implants is $14,400, which includes the surgeon, anaesthetist, and hospital fees. You will need to contact your insurance provider to determine if you are covered for any of the costs associated with your procedure.
To receive a quote for your procedure, please schedule a consultation by contacting us today.
What Else Should I Consider Before My Breast Lift with Implants?
As you plan for your breast lift with implants procedure, it can also help to ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you expect your weight to fluctuate in the future?
- Are you hoping to have children in the future?
- Do you have realistic expectations?
- Have you been made aware of possible sensation loss in the breasts or nipples?
- Do you understand there will be some degree of scarring after your surgery?
- Will you need assistance during your initial recovery?
- Do you know what complications can arise and what to do should they occur?
Any questions you have can be addressed during your appointments with your surgeon and our team, and we encourage you to reach out should you have any concerns.