Earlobe repair aims at restoring the aesthetic appearance of the earlobe, often affected by an injury or piercing. Whether the earlobe has been damaged or elongated, this abnormal shape can be corrected through a minor procedure. Earlobe repair is a quick and simple surgery that can be performed in our practice rooms. Usually the scars from earlobe repair are very subtle and hard to see. Re-piercing your ears may be possible after healing, but heavy earrings may best be avoided to prolong your surgical outcome.
Meet your Surgeon
Dr. Kelly Thornbury
Meet your Surgeon
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree from the University of Newcastle, studying Medical Radiation Science (Diagnostic) and graduated with merit
- Selected into the university’s Medicine program, and received the distinguished Carl Mason Memorial Prize
- Accepted into the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons’ Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical training program
- Master’s Degree in Surgery at the University of Sydney, researching paediatric craniofacial surgery and burns surgery
- Active member of multiple professional organisations, including:
- The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
How can earlobe repair help me?
If you have an abnormal earlobe shape or size, earlobe repair surgery may be an ideal procedure to help you achieve a more balanced appearance. Those who can typically benefit from earlobe repair are those who have either injured their earlobe, altered it with a piercing or gauge, or are unhappy with a congenital problem. By reshaping the earlobe, your surgeon can help you achieve a look more proportionate with the rest of your ear.
What does earlobe repair involve?
Earlobe repair is similar to otoplasty, but focuses on the soft tissue at the bottom of the ear. It is a relatively simple procedure and can typically be performed within 15-30 minutes. Patients are numbed with local anaesthesia to ensure they experience minimal discomfort throughout the process. The specifics of the procedure will ultimately depend on each patient’s unique needs and aesthetic goals. A customized treatment plan will be created during your consultation and discussed with you to ensure you can make an informed decision about your care.
Will I need to be hospitalised for the surgery?
Since earlobe repair is a quick procedure and only requires local anaesthesia, patients can be treated in one of our practice rooms and can return home after their surgery.
What is the recovery like?
Following earlobe repair, most patients typically need about 4-5 days to recover, at which point their stitches will be removed. The earlobes will continue to heal over the course of several weeks. Patients can get their ears pierced once again after 8-12 weeks, but heavy earrings should be avoided to ensure the improvement in earlobe shape is not compromised.
Do you have additional questions?
If you any other questions or concerns regarding earlobe repair, please contact us and one of our staff members will help you schedule your consultation.
Before & After