The unwanted prominence of drooping facial skin that occurs with age, due to lifestyle or genetics, can be remedied by having a face lift and neck lift, which are cosmetic surgical procedures that help reduce signs of ageing in the face and neck. These areas, in particular around the jaw line, are especially prone to the ageing process. Though these changes are gradual, wrinkles and other signs of ageing can make individuals feel older or look more tired than they really are.
- What Is Face Lift & Neck Lift Surgery?
- Face Lift Candidates
- Face Lift Consultation
- Face Lift & Neck Lift Techniques
- Face Lift & Neck Lift Procedure
- Face Lift Recovery
- Face Lift Results
- Face Lift Scars
- Non-Surgical Face Lift
- Face Lift Complications
- Face Lift Before & After Photos
- Animation Video of Face Lift Surgery
- Face Lift Cost
- Additional Face Lift FAQs
Meet your Surgeon
Dr. Robert Knight
Meet your Surgeon
Education and Training:
- Attended medical school in South Africa, and trained at the internationally renowned Baragwanath Hospital
- Awarded a Cyanamid Pharmaceutical Scholarship, the Medical Students Council Award and the Graham Wilkinson Medal
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Awarded the LGI cardiothoracic prize and presented at several conferences in London, Stockholm and Cologne
- Associate conjoint lecturer at the University of New South Wales and awarded with several prestigious awards including the SEALS postgraduate research scholarship for three years
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Awarded with the Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons Scholarship
- Co-author of the international alert paper on breast implant-related anaplastic large cell lymphoma
- Travelled to Italy to learn from world experts in rhinoplasty and face lift surgery at the prestigious Bergamo Rhinoplasty course
- Attended the Mentor Masterclass course of Breast Enlargement in Sydney and the internationally renowned FACE workshop in Melbourne
- Specialist Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic/Cosmetic Surgeon (FRACS)
- Specialist Craniomaxillofacial and Paediatric Plastic Surgeon (FRACS)
- Aesthetic Surgeon – American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- Doctorate in Medicine
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency – AHPRA
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Society of Craniofacial Surgeons
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- American College of Surgeons
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- International Society of Plastic and Regenerative Surgery
What Is Face Lift and Neck Lift Surgery?
Face lift and neck lift surgery is the most efficient method for reversing the effects of ageing and gravity in the mid and lower face. A face lift removes excess skin and repositions fat and muscles, which elevates the cheeks and mid-face, reduces the jowls and provides a cleaner and more defined jawline. Today’s facial plastic surgery techniques create a long-lasting natural appearance that leaves you looking rejuvenated with better results and less risk than ever before. A face lift is often performed along with a neck lift, to complete the effect of renewed youthfulness.
Our specialist plastic surgeons provide highly customised face lifts to achieve naturally beautiful and long-lasting facial rejuvenation. The procedure can be beneficial for those with the following:
- Sagging, loose skin, muscles and fat in the face and neck
- Excess skin and fat on the neck
- Dropped fat pockets around the face
- Good general health and non-smoker
- Desire for longer term results
- Realistic expectations about results that can be achieved
Am I a Candidate for Face Lift Surgery?
Face lift plastic surgery is popular for men and women seeking a younger and fresher facial appearance, after gravity and time have caused the skin on the face and neck to loosen, causing sagging. A face lift can be performed with success on patients of almost any age and the results normally last for up to 10 years.
While the visible signs of facial ageing vary between individuals depending on their genes and lifestyle, the general unavoidable effects are caused by the loss of fat under the facial skin. In youth, the face has prominent fat pads. As we age, the cheeks tend to broaden and droop and the jawline loses definition, sometimes changing a person’s overall facial characteristics. Oval-shaped faces may appear to fill out, producing a squarer and harsher look.
At Pure Aesthetics, our plastic surgeons believe that having a face lift should leave you with the appearance of natural refreshment and vitality, rather than a tight, “surgical” look. During pre-surgery consultations we will discuss your aesthetic expectations in detail and give advice on the most likely aesthetic outcomes based on your health, age, skin elasticity and medical history.
A face lift or neck lift can reduce the visible signs of ageing on your face. If you have wrinkles and sagging skin, this procedure can eliminate these issues.
Benefits of face lift surgery include:
- Firmer, tighter and fresher facial appearance
- Improved facial contours
- Improved confidence and self esteem
What Does the Face Lift Consultation Entail?
During the consultation process, your specialist plastic surgeon will go over a variety of questions with you ranging from your medical history to the results you would like to achieve. Be prepared to discuss any medications you may be taking, allergies you have and any medical procedures you have undergone in the past.
Your plastic surgeon will complete an evaluation of your needs. Based on your history and examination, your best options for facial rejuvenation are determined.
You will also learn what to expect during the recovery process and about possible complications that may develop. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions or concerns as you think of them.
During a second consultation, you will learn more details about your face lift operation. The specific risks of your case will also be reiterated.
What Are the Different Types of Face Lift & Neck Lift Procedures?
Full Face Lift
The most comprehensive facial rejuvenation addresses all areas of the face, from the forehead down to the neck. This will provide the most dramatic results, as well as the longest-lasting outcome. Our surgeons recommend this comprehensive approach for patients who desire comprehensive facial rejuvenation. This may incorporate a brow lift, face lift, eyelid lift, and neck lift, though only the components that you require and desire will be recommended.
“Mini” Face Lift
This is suited to those with limited amount of excess or sagging skin. The underlying facial tissue is repositioned to provide a more youthful contour. This is common for women in their 40s or younger, to correct early signs of ageing and reduce the rate at which the lower part of the face ages in the future. This also corrects early jowl formation.
As the name suggests, a mid-face lift focuses on the middle portion of the face. A mid-face lift procedure focuses on the lower eyelids, cheeks and nasolabial region. This technique is especially suited to younger patents with minimal ageing in the neck area.
This technique reduces excess skin and banded appearance of the neck area. This procedure is also known as “platysmaplasty.” In this procedure the neck muscle is removed, tightened and/or realigned, helping to tighten the neck area.
What Does the Face Lift Procedure Involve?
Our specialist plastic surgeons perform face lift procedures under general anaesthesia, usually with a one-night stay in hospital. Incisions are made behind the hairline and may extend around the head, depending upon the extent of the lift required. During the procedure, the surgeon lifts the excess tissue, muscle and skin to reposition and suture it into place. The incision is made in front of the ear, inside the ear and then extends behind the ear by the earlobe. The skin, fat and muscle are separated, lifted and then re-draped to a more youthful-appearing position. Finally, care is taken in suturing the incision. This is done to minimize the scar, rendering it virtually invisible after the initial healing period.
Our cosmetic plastic surgeons perform the most modern techniques in face lifting, called the “SMAS flap” technique, which involves lifting the underlying muscle and fat pads of the face instead of just skin. This surgery is more extensive than the older “skin lifts” and has the advantage of providing a less “pulled” and more natural look with longer-lasting effects.
What Is Face Lift Recovery Like?
Recovery time will vary depending on the type of face lift you have undergone. Immediately after surgery, your anaesthesia will gradually wear off. With the many advancements in anaesthesia over the years, you should have minimal side effects and pain. Our highly skilled and trained anaesthetists are experienced in modern techniques and are committed to helping you remain comfortable.
You will have dressings around your cheeks and neck. Additionally, your cheeks and neck will be wrapped with a bandage that compresses the area. In some cases, a drainage tube will be required for 1-2 days after your operation.
You can expect that your face and neck will be swollen, and this can last for a few weeks. In general, stitches come out around 7-10 days. Most patients return to work after about 2 weeks and are asked to refrain from strenuous activities for 4 weeks.
When Will I See My Face Lift Results?
You can expect for the new appearance to emerge after a few months once all swelling has subsided. Results should start to become apparent after 2-3 weeks, with a good idea of expected results after 3 months. The final outcome can last up to and over 10 years and will vary from person to person depending on lifestyle factors and your own inherent ageing process.
Will My Face Lift Scars Be Visible?
Your specialist plastic surgeon carefully plans your surgery so it will leave minimal scarring. The incisions are well hidden in your hairline or the skin’s natural folds and will also gradually fade over time.
Can I Get a Face Lift Without Surgery?
It is possible to achieve satisfying temporary rejuvenation and improve facial ageing from non-surgical facial procedures, which are also available at Pure Aesthetics. Many women and men enjoy the refreshment and confidence boost of facial restoration treatments provided by regular cosmetic injections and skin treatments.
However, only a face lift can permanently treat the skin and muscle sagging caused by the normal ageing process, with results lasting up to 10 years. Our Pure Aesthetics surgeons are highly skilled, specialist plastic surgeons in current plastic surgery techniques with a commitment to producing realistic-looking results for face lift patients.
Alternatives to non-surgical facial procedures where a patient’s concern about facial ageing is isolated to a more specific area of the face include a brow lift, eyelid reduction or neck lift. These common plastic surgery procedures are used to address isolated problem areas with modern techniques that require minor incisions and leave minimal scarring.
What Complications Can Arise from Face Lift Surgery?
Complications are possible with any surgical procedure, which is why it is important to seek the care of a qualified plastic surgeon. Potential risks and complications of surgery include:
- Bruising, bleeding, haematoma formation
- Anaesthetic problems, such as deep vein thrombosis
Other possible complications that can occur from face lift surgery include:
- Hair loss around scars
- Skin necrosis
- Facial asymmetry
- Facial nerve damage
- Altered facial sensation
These risks will be discussed with you in more detail during the consultation process, including how they are typically handled if they occur.
Will I Be Able to View Face Lift Before & After Photos?
To protect the privacy of our patients, face lift before and after cases can be seen in our office during your consultation.