Hyperhidrosis commonly known as excessive sweating, is a condition whereby the body produces and secretes an abnormal amount of sweat. The body controls heat via way of sweating, however in people with Hyperhidrosis, the brain overstimulates the glands that are responsible for sweating.
Hyperhidrosis is effectively treated via Anti-Wrinkle Injections and has been approved for use by the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Association), with clinical studies showing a 90% decrease in sweat production.
Hyperhidrosis commonly affects the Underarms, Palms and Feet and affects approximately 3-5% of the population and generally commences in the teens to mid 20′s. While most causes are unknown, some potential triggers include heat and cold, alcohol, coffee and spicy food, stress and strong emotions, and may be cyclical in nature, around certain times of the day.
Meet your Surgeon
Dr Noela Ferch
Meet your Surgeon
Education and Training:
- Completed medical education at the University of Sydney
- Underwent specialist training in anesthesia and completed a year of fellowship training at the Prince of Wales Hospital
- Worked at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- Worked at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London
Types of Hyperhidrosis
There are two types of Hyperhidrosis:
- Focal Hyperhidrosis: This is the most common presentation, affecting areas such as hands, feet, scalp, face and underarms and can be treated with anti wrinkle injections.
- Generalised Hyperhidrosis: This is excessive sweating over the entire body, commonly caused by an underlying medical condition. When the medical condition is treated appropriately, the sweating usually stops.
What are the benefits of Hyperhidrosis treatment?
- Results last between 6-9 months
- You can expect to see a reduction in sweat between 8-14 days after
- The treatment is minimally invasive, meaning there is little or no down time
- Injections are safe, have been tested over the years, and are proven to be effective. The vast majority of patients experience no complications
- Walk in, walk out procedure, meaning you can be rejuvenated in less than an hour.
- Reduced sweating and reduced odour, minimising social embarrassment.
Do you have any more questions?
Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions that you might have about Hyperhidrosis/Excessive Sweating. Our team will be happy to address any concerns that you may have.