Excessive sweating, known as hyperhidrosis, is a relatively common condition affecting about 2 to 3% of people. Not only can it affect your underarms, but also your hands and feet and, sometimes, your scalp, neck and face.
Everyone sweats when they are hot, so sweating excessively all the time can negatively impact your life both physically and emotionally.
If you find yourself sweating on a cold day, you may be looking for hyperhidrosis relief in Sydney.
Impact of Hyperhidrosis
Hyperhidrosis can be embarrassing socially, at work, during physical activity and can also affect your intimate relationships. It can limit the type of clothing you choose to wear and you may even avoid social situations because your clothes are constantly damp.
When you have hands that sweat excessively, it makes it difficult to take part in some recreational activities because your palms are constantly wet and slippery. This condition may make you shy away from forming intimate relationships because it causes deep embarrassment. Not only this, excessive sweating may even limit your work opportunities. For example, if you are a construction worker it can be dangerous or make you less productive because handling tools is difficult with sweaty palms. Or, if you are an office worker, constantly sweaty hands can make typing on a keyboard difficult.
No matter how it affects your life, there are excessive sweating treatments available to help you.
Common Causes of Hyperhidrosis
There are two different types of hyperhidrosis and each one has different causes:
- Primary Hyperhidrosis.Primary hyperhidrosis is the most common type of excessive sweating, It affects the armpits, feet and hands. This condition can be genetic, or there may be no obvious cause, and can start while you are a child and worsens during your teenage years.
- Secondary Hyperhidrosis. An underlying medical condition or some medications can cause secondary hyperhidrosis, such as hyperthyroidism, which is excessive sweating across your whole body.
Excessive Sweating Solutions
There are a range of treatments for excessive sweating management but the best treatments for hyperhidrosis are botulinum toxin injections. The best results are as a treatment for excessive underarm sweating but are also effective for sweaty hands and the scalp:
- Underarm treatment.Treating the underarms is simple and highly effective:
- Your specialist marks out the sweat area which is usually the area where the hair grows.
- They then inject small amounts of the botulinum toxin solution into the area.
- It usually takes between 15 and 25 injections.
- The whole process takes less than two minutes.
- The procedure can be uncomfortable but is not very painful.
- Sweaty hands.Treating sweeting hands with botulinum toxin injections is more complex than the armpits. It may involve blocking the nerves by numbing the area before multiple injections into the palms and fingers of your hands. Surgery, creams and iontophoresis are also effective treatments for sweaty hands.
- Sweaty scalp.Botulinum toxin injections are also highly effective in treating the scalp. How many injections you need will depend on the extensiveness of the problem.
There is a Medicare rebate if treatment is performed by a specialist and you have already tried aluminium chloride hexahydrate antiperspirants beforehand and it did not work. The rebate is only for treating excessive underarm sweating and covers up to three treatments a year done at least four months a part.
Benefits of Hyperhidrosis Treatment
The most common hyperhidrosis treatment Sydney are botulinum toxin injections. The benefits are both physical and mental, including:
- Working quickly.A major benefit of botulinum toxin injections is how quickly you get results. You start to see a reduction in sweating in two to seven days after treatment. The results last for around six months or more.
- Being non-invasive.Botulinum toxin injections are non-invasive. This means there is no surgery involved so you do not have to worry about pain. Your specialist injects the substance into your sweat glands which paralyses them and blocks the nerve signals. You can continue your normal daily activities after treatment. There is no recovery time required.
- Improving self-confidence.Excessive sweating can impact your mental health and you may feel embarrassed being in public spaces when your clothes are obviously drenched in sweat. Treating your hyperhidrosis stops excessive sweating so you no longer need to feel embarrassed about how you look.
- Administered by a specialist.An experienced, fully trained specialist administers the treatment. They know exactly what they are doing to get the best results.
Your specialist uses botulinum toxin injections to relax the smooth muscle in the sweat glands to lessen its activity. They use tiny, fine needles to inject the substance multiple times just below the surface of your skin across the treatment area. How many injections you need depends on the treatment area and the severity of the issue.
While the procedure is not painful, you can have a numbing cream applied to the area before your treatment starts. Most people find this unnecessary because the procedure is quick. It is uncomfortable rather than painful.
To talk to Sydney hyperhidrosis specialists, contact Pure Aesthetics for a personal consultation. Our fully trained, experienced specialist can give you all the information you need to make a decision about hyperhidrosis treatment .